Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Let's kick this shit.

Be the change you want to see in the world... right?

All is not well in the land of communications. Thanks to this long-overdrawn recession, so many respectable publications have folded, laid off talented employees, or just have full-on collapsed in general (you know who you are).
A lot of people would say that this is, hands down, a time to get discouraged. However, I have so much more courage in 2009 than in '08 than I could have ever foreseen. I now believe that this year is my year.
And it's yours, too. How do you insure that shit goes smoothly? Of course, you can't. It is inevitable. You just have to grab everything you can by the balls and hope everything works out all right. As Benjamin Franklin said, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Most would say our distance is an issue. Gawd, Brooklyn Prom Queen LITERALLY covers the whole country (which is badass, no? I'm proud, for one). If we want to get something, like a publication, up and running, we've got to meet, share ideas-- but can't we do that anyway? It's not like if we work, we'll be doing it alone. At all. If we want to get this going, let's do it. I think that no matter how far away we are from each other, we can still make a difference together. We could have video meetings on Skype! (I think I figured out what we did wrong, anyway!)

2009 will be a year where I no longer want the word "eventually" in my vocabulary. Let's it make happen.

"Life is a question of disillusionment. You are meant to become cynical. But I cannot accept this destiny! I still believe we can change the world."
--Marjane Satrapi
I do. And I hope you do, too.

P.S. Alex, are you writing in the journal right now? I'm so anxious to see!

5 comments:

MACK said...

en route by Friday, Sarah! (I have a dentist appt. tomorrow and don't know if I'll make it to the Post Office). LOOK OUT FOR IT!

Lolita Hazed said...

OMFG ARE YOU SERIOUS. ARE. YOU. SERIOUS.

Holy. OMG.

Valentina said...

THIS IS SO RAD! And yes 2009 is totally going to be our year. I don't care how much work it will be...this thing is going to get off the ground

Lolita Hazed said...

When do you guys want to do the next Skype session?

Erika said...

Oh ahhh! I'm sad I missed this discussion! We must SKYPE after school starts...so maybe next weekend or around that time?

Either way this HAS TO HAPPEN. Not just SKYPE, I mean EVERYTHING. BPQ42009! (haha that looks like a license plate)